Challenge Grant Initiative
UC Water supports water research across the UC system as a network of scholars, students and partners. To engage new investigators and to increase the depth of our ongoing, existing research programs, we fund $100,000 annually in research proposals.
We seek proposals for 2017-2018, due Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:59:59 PM (PDT).
There are two types of Challenge Grants available for University of California PIs:
- Match Grants (up to $30,000) support existing water research at one campus.
- Seed Grants (up to $60,000) support new research collaborations across three campuses.
Learn about 2015 Challenge Grant Initiative Recipients.
In the interest of expanding UC Water’s network of UC-affiliated water researchers to emergent water challenges and solutions, we encourage proposal for research projects that support water resources decision-making in the following areas:
- Water information and accounting: linking data and decision-making
- Groundwater management: innovation for implementation of SGMA
- Social, cultural, and political perspectives on water management
- Economics, financing, and funding: challenges and opportunities for water institutions, information, and infrastructure
- Ecological research: ecosystem services and groundwater-dependent ecosystems.
We seek interdisciplinary proposals for research projects that explicitly articulate how they would support improved decision-making in California water management. We encourage co-produced research and practice projects that are formed in partnership with water agencies and decision-makers. Successful proposals will define their linkages to information, institutions, or infrastructure and will complement one of our four foci:
- Water Resources Information and Accounting
- Groundwater Institutions, Resources, and Technology
- Headwater Management
- Food-Energy-Water Systems.
Recipients will become UC Water investigators, present at the UC Water Annual Meeting on Sept. 21-22 in UC Davis, and have a profile on the website.
Deadline: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:59:59 PM (PDT)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. We look forward to reading your proposal. Please share widely.